Sunday, April 30, 2017

Insight from Sequoia National Park

General Sherman
Largest Tree in the World
We drove four hours to Sequoia National Park, and did a day trip. I've been to Sequoia National Park before, but I wanted to go again and study the sequoia trees.

Some of them are alleged to be over 3,000 years old. Imagine being older than Moses, Buddha, Jesus, and Muhammad. That's rather old.

What I found personally fascinating about the trees is that they transform after they reach 1,000 years old. Can you believe that? Insects undergo such changes with a few days to a few months. And humans do it when they're in their teens. But these trees transform, after living a 1,000 years. Wow!

After a 100 years old, they start looking like a redwood tree, and it's difficult to tell them apart. But after 1,000 years, the top reaches the canopies, their leaves grow upward towards the sun, and the bark becomes thicker and red. No wonder they call them monarchs. Because, they really do look regal and majestic.
Red tail hawk

So that made me realize I need to be more patient with change, for myself or the environment. As the old saying goes: Rome wasn't built in one day.

Anyways, it was fun to be there. It started off cloudy, became sunny, and then the clouds started rolling in, and it felt like we were in a ghost forest. It was a really short trip but well worth it.

Yesterday, I went for a run in the hills. And I found a red tail hawk. She was injured but still gorgeous. She was friendly and let me feed her some water. That made her happy.

I wrapped her up in a towel, and took her home. She looked better in the morning. I thought to myself my life is really getting stranger and stranger.

Maybe, it'll become like a Korean or Grim's fairy tale. And one day the hawk will return and speak to me. She'll remember that I took care of her, and she'll lead me to some secret passage, where there will be all types of treasure. Haha. (I dream a lot.)

I called animal control, and he took it. I hope she comes back to those hills and visits me again.

Anyways, Sunday's rolled around. I better get my weekend chores done. And then, back to the grind tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment