Saturday, June 11, 2016

Quote on Loving Someone . . .

I was listening to a talk today by Cambridge Scientist Margaret Heffernan; I heard it before. But when I heard it again, the scientist argues how to find insights in science. Dare to Disagree Talk

Here's the part that hit home today. Heffernan:

So what does that kind of constructive conflict require? Well, first of all, it requires that we find people who are very different from ourselves. That means we have to resist the neurobiological drive, which means that we really prefer people mostly like ourselves, and it means we have to seek out people with different backgrounds, different disciplines, different ways of thinking and different experience, and find ways to engage with them. That requires a lot of patience and a lot of energy. And the more I've thought about this, the more I think, really, that that's a kind of love.

That really made me rethink the world today.

No comments:

Post a Comment